You need to install a plugin, There is a free one from the eclipse foundation called the Web Tools Platform. It has all the development functionality that you'll need.
You can get the Java EE Edition of eclipse with has it pre-installed.
To create and run your first servlet:
- New... Project... Dynamic Web Project.
- Right click the project... New Servlet.
- Write some code in the
- Find the servers view in the Java EE perspective, it's usually one of the tabs at the bottom.
- Right click in there and select new Server.
- Select Tomcat X.X and a wizard will point you to finding the installation.
- Right click the server you just created and select Add and Remove... and add your created web project.
- Right click your servlet and select Run > Run on Server...
That should do it for you. You can use ant to build here if that's what you'd like but eclipse will actually do the build and automatically deploy the changes to the server. With Tomcat you might have to restart it every now and again depending on the change.